[mythtv-users] Is the GUI slow for everyone or just for me?

t+mythtv t+mythtv at wondious.com
Wed May 26 12:27:10 EDT 2004

My load's normal, very low.  I do seem to have to restart mythbackend
once a day or so for some unexplained reason, but that's probably a
separate issue.  I've noticed the redhat swap usage seems to steadily
increase until the point that most of both swap and ram are in use, even
though disk buffers consume half the ram.  I think that's been a problem
in every redhat kernel later than redhat 7.2.  Very, very annoying.  On
my system at home I usually either reboot when it gets too bad or shut
down most things and then run a swapoff -a followed by a swapon -a.  It
doesn't help that X also seems to have a mem leak somewhere and over the
course of a week or too will consume more and more memory.

I'll be buying more RAM soon, but my problem is that it's going to be
pretty expensive for this particular hardware.  (800MHz RDRAM, only one
slot).  But hey, the computer itself was free, so I can't complain too
much. :-)