[mythtv-users] Which nVidia drivers?

Doug Larrick doug at ties.org
Wed May 26 07:54:54 EDT 2004

match at ece.utah.edu wrote:
> That's the question... since I don't need overscan, I don't need 4363, but is there any
> advantage to using a later driver? If 4363 was perfect, then why did nVidia write the
> others? What were they trying to improve? What features did they try to add?

Mainly new hardware support, and better 3D  Not a lot for video.  5336
is certainly less buggy on my desktop system (FX 5200) for general use.
  If you use experimental A/V sync you'll need to enable the new
OpenGL-based vertical retrace sync (in CVS, see settings.pro), since the
/dev/nvidia0 retrace sync is broken for > 4363.

A forthcoming driver version evidently will allow true interlaced modes
for hardware that supports it.  That's a big deal for displaying HDTV on
CRTs.

-Doug