[mythtv-users] MythTV - Complete How-TO build on Fedora Core 2 docs

Jarod Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Wed May 26 00:19:02 EDT 2004

On May 25, 2004, at 12:48, knight at pogmech.net wrote:

> As much as I like to use RPM's whenever possible, I'm also of the old
> school of compiling everything from scratch, if only to see how things
> work.  I also know some ppls OS setups can be very twisted, and
> troubleshooting RPM installs could be more pain than just compiling
> from source.

Most people have a dedicated system for a Myth box. The OS setup is
fairly straight-forward, and you should take a look at apt and/or yum
if you haven't already. They handle pretty much all the dependency
resolutions for you automatically, so its quite painless. But yes,
there are definitely reasons to compile from source.

> With that said, I think there is a place for both RPM and Compile from
> source install guides.  The MythTV.org docs seemed to be lacking a few
> key details on getting the project setup, so I threw my doc out there
> to help contribute.

If you think the docs are lacking somewhere, it would good to put
together a patch for Robert to include...

> I agree what others have said about creating too many how-to docs, and
> it could cause more confusion as more unofficial how-to's flood the
> lists.  I've read through dozens upon dozens of them in different
> languages (thanks google translator!) just to get my setup working.

I wasn't aware there were dozens and dozens of MythTV howtos out
there... Or did you mean howtos in general, i.e., one for alsa, one for
ivtv, etc.?

> The offical doc maintainers are welcome to merge parts of my doc to
> the offical one if they find it useful enough.

I don't think that's how it works. The official doc maintainers don't
get paid to do what they do and have no motivation to read someone
else's docs (though they might). I wouldn't ever expect Robert to read
over my doc to extract information (or for any other reason). If I
think I have something that would help the official docs, I submit a
patch (been a while since I've had time to read over ANY docs lately
though). You're the one that says there are holes in the official doc,
so in theory, you know best how to patch them. Long story short, if you
think the official docs have holes, YOU should create doc patches to
submit to plug said holes.

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE

Got a question? Read this first...