[mythtv-users] MythTV - Complete How-TO build on Fedora Core 2 docs

Jarod Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Wed May 26 00:08:55 EDT 2004

On May 25, 2004, at 09:19, John Sturgeon wrote:

> knight at pogmech.net wrote:
>
>> Greets all,
>>
>>  I hope someone finds these docs useful.  Due to the size of the text
>> doc (~40k), I'm posting a link where you can view or d/l it.  If the
>> size of the doc is acceptable, I can post it up here for
>> archiving/list searchable.
>>
>> One main issues not covered in doc yet (any help here would be
>> great!):
>> - Getting the /etc/modprobe.conf file to load the mythtv settings
>> correctly
>> MythTV How-To build for Fedora Core 2:
>>   http://www.pogmech.net/~ral/mythtv/mythtv-fc2-build.txt
>>

>> Be gentle- I'm running this doc off an old Omnibook 800c laptop,
>> being used as a 24/7 server. So it may be a bit slow. :)  Also NOTE
>> that these docs are far from complete and need lots of polishing to
>> be a easier to read through.  I'm working on that now.
>> Feedback/corrections/suggestions are welcome!
>>

> Rod,
>
> This is a great start.  Is there any way that you and Jarod Wilson can
> come together and merge your guides?  There seems to be quite a bit of
> overlap.

There is definitely some overlap, but...

> I'm curious about what Jarod thinks because the 'two separate guides'
> are mainly Fedora Core 1 (with atrpms) and Fedora Core 2 (without).

...yes, Rod's going entirely source-based, which is actually where I
started over a year ago, and have since got it to all rpm-based, mostly
for ease-of-use for those who don't want to muck with compiling their
own stuff. I think Rod's doc may well overlap more with the official
docs than with mine, since compiling everything from source works
largely the same on every Linux distro out there.

> From what I understand Jarod is working on updating his HOWTO to
> Fedora Core 2.

Correct (in what little time I have right now -- still chasing down
gremlins at work, post-data center move...).

> I believe that Axel has already created a repository for Fedora Core 2
> on atrpms as well,

Correct. We're still waiting on updated drivers from nVidia that are
100% safe w/the FC2 kernel though.

> so folks doing MythTV on Fedora Core 2 are going to be well supported
> by  Jarod's guide and the atrpms repository.

And correct, that's the plan.

> Maybe it becomes a philosophical difference between using atrpms, or
> not.

That's pretty much what I'd say. But if you're not using atrpms, it
really doesn't matter that much what distro you use.

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE

Got a question? Read this first...
     http://wilsonet.com/mythtv/