[mythtv-users] Is the GUI slow for everyone or just for me?

mark fairlane at springcom.com
Tue May 25 22:26:19 EDT 2004

On Tuesday 25 May 2004 07:46 pm, t+mythtv wrote:
> I'm wondering, how responsive is the mythtv gui for most people?
>
> On my system most parts are what I would call "very slow".  To put that
> more quantitatively, switching to the list of recorded programs when I
> click on "Recorded Programs" takes at least 15 seconds.  Bringing up
> MythWeather usually takes about 15 seconds too.  Moving around even
> within the same screen (ie cursor'ing up and down) is a "press a key and
> wait" activity, with the highlight change taking probably a quarter of a
> second for each button.
>
> I'm not complaining - I'm just wondering if that matches everyone else's
> experience...?
>
> Some system details: Dual 800MHz Xeon's with 256MB of RAM, running
> KDE3.1 on X4.something, opengl accelerated.  The system is definitely
> way too low on memory - and I personally think there's something
> extremely broken in redhat memory management in redhat9 / redhat
> enterprise 3 - it seems to page stuff out when there's absolutely no
> reason to do so.  Mythfrontend and mythbackend are on the same system.
> Only thing keeping me from just calling it a memory problem is the fact
> that pulling up the list in mythweb is quick (<1 second).
>
> How long does it take for you to get a list of recorded programs using
> mythfrontend?  Does my experience match others?

Mine's definitely slow since I switched to recording in RTJPEG and transcoding
to MPEG4 after.  I record about 6-10 hrs a day, and rarely do you pull up the
guide or recorded programs and it doesn't take at least 8-10 seconds.
When it's not transcoding, it's much faster.  This is on a AMD 2500, 512mb
ram.