[mythtv-users] MythTV - Complete How-TO build on Fedora Core 2 docs

Kevin Kuphal kuphal at dls.net
Tue May 25 16:23:38 EDT 2004

knight at pogmech.net wrote:

>On Tue, May 25, 2004 at 10:38:59AM -0700, John Sturgeon wrote:
>

>>Dex West wrote:

>>>http://www.pogmech.net/~ral/mythtv/mythtv-fc2-build.txt

>>>IMHO it would be advantageous to have two separate
>>>guides with different steps to the same goal..
>>>
>>>just my .02..
>>>

>>I'm curious about what Jarod thinks because the 'two separate guides'
>>are mainly Fedora Core 1 (with atrpms) and Fedora Core 2 (without).
>>From what I understand Jarod is working on updating his HOWTO to Fedora
>>Core 2.  I believe that Axel has already created a repository for Fedora
>>Core 2 on atrpms as well, so folks doing MythTV on Fedora Core 2 are
>>going to be well supported by  Jarod's guide and the atrpms repository.
>>
>>Maybe it becomes a philosophical difference between using atrpms, or not.
>>
>>--
>>John <><
>>

>As much as I like to use RPM's whenever possible, I'm also of the old school of compiling everything from scratch, if only to see how things work.  I also know some ppls OS setups can be very twisted, and troubleshooting RPM installs could be more pain than just compiling from source.
>
>With that said, I think there is a place for both RPM and Compile from source install guides.  The MythTV.org docs seemed to be lacking a few key details on getting the project setup, so I threw my doc out there to help contribute.
>
>I agree what others have said about creating too many how-to docs, and it could cause more confusion as more unofficial how-to's flood the lists.  I've read through dozens upon dozens of them in different languages (thanks google translator!) just to get my setup working.
>
>The offical doc maintainers are welcome to merge parts of my doc to the offical one if they find it useful enough.
>

>-Rod

One thing some people here are trying to do is use the wiki at
http://www.mythtv.info as a staging ground for documents headed for the
official documentation.  If you would like, I'm sure the contribution of
the FC2 how-to would be welcome at that site (you can submit it yourself
by creating/editing a page on the wiki) and then if there are any tweaks
to be found, others can contribute those edits and once it is considered
complete it can be submitted to the developers for inclusion in the
mythtv.org documentation.

Kevin