[mythtv-users] Ownership of .nuv files/deleting problems

Nick Craig-Wood ncw1 at axis.demon.co.uk
Tue May 25 09:26:11 EDT 2004

On Tue, May 25, 2004 at 01:19:00PM +0200, Asciimonster wrote:
> I'm running mythbackend as a service, therefore the ownership of the
> .nuv it produces is root:root (with permission 644). However I'm running
> mythfrontend as a user (not root).  This is no problem until I try to
> delete the recordings, that's when mythfrontend crashes/locks up.  It
> can't delete then since it's not allowed to.
>
> I've configured cron to change the ownership changed every half hour.
> But is there a more elegant way to solve this?

Two ways come to mind

1) give the "user" write access to the directory you store the .nuv
files in.

  chown user directory

or

  chgrp user directory
  chmod g+rwx directory

If a user has write access to a directory he may delete files from
that directory (unless the sticky bit is set - see /tmp for an example
of that)

2) or what I do (courtesy of the debian startup scripts) is run the
mythbackend as the user.  You could do this with

  su - user -c "/path/to/mythbackend -arg1 -arg2"

You may have to fiddle with some permissions on device files for that
to work...

--
Nick Craig-Wood
ncw1 at axis.demon.co.uk