[mythtv-users] Ownership of .nuv files/deleting problems

Maarten mythtv at ultratux.org
Tue May 25 08:57:57 EDT 2004

On Tuesday 25 May 2004 13:19, Asciimonster wrote:
> I'm running mythbackend as a service, therefore the ownership of the
> .nuv it produces is root:root (with permission 644). However I'm running
> mythfrontend as a user (not root).  This is no problem until I try to
> delete the recordings, that's when mythfrontend crashes/locks up.  It
> can't delete then since it's not allowed to.

In addition to my reply some minutes ago, are you really sure about that ?
Because I run a remote frontend, not as root and not having mounted the remote
video storage directory, and it works fine (mythbackend is running as root).
So, there _must_ be another reason for this behaviour you're experiencing.

If I recall correctly mythfrontend just tells mythbackend to delete a file,
through the TCP port and/or the mysql db. It does not attempt to delete the
file by itself (and obviously, IF it did that would really wreak havoc when
using multiple frontends, too).  So you have to look elsewhere...

Maarten

> I've configured cron to change the ownership changed every half hour.
> But is there a more elegant way to solve this?
>

> P.S. does anybody know why xdm crashed when I route X though my
> Hauppauge WinTV 350 framebuffer?

Linux: Because rebooting is for adding hardware.