[mythtv-users] Problems (KDE and ALSA) with Jarod's guide

Bruce Smith mythtv at reddog.org
Mon May 24 15:29:35 EDT 2004

> 1) alsa-kmdl-2.4.22-1.2188.nptl_48.rhfc1.at doesn't exist through apt.

I noticed that too on Saturday when I upgraded to the bleeding CVS
RPM's.  Luckily I still have my old kernel installed.

> 2) I (accidentally) missed this step in the guide
> "To get your installation to go off without a hitch, you may have to comment
> out apt.kde-redhat.org and kde-redhat.atrpms.net in /etc/apt/sources.list
> (simply place a # in front of all kde-redhat lines)"
> I now seem to be left with a KDE 3.2 that just hangs when I log in. I'm
> guessing I have some libraries that needed to be upgraded with the KDE 3.2
> upgrade, which weren't, and it just hangs. I see my options as either:
> 2a) Reinstall Fedora Core and remember to comment out those lines.
> 2b) Somehow go back to KDE 3.1.
> 2c) Upgrade dependent software or remove extra copies of libraries lying
> around or something else to get KDE 3.2 to work.
>
> I would ideally do 2c. Does anyone have any tricks to getting the KDE 3.2
> upgrade to work from a fresh Fedora Core install? I have a PVR-250 and an
> nvidia graphics card. 2b would also be nice if that's somehow possible.

You are not required to use KDE.  Up to now I've been running Gnome (or
just metacity).  After upgrading to CVS I started having problems where
the window title bar would show up around mythfrontend about half the
time.  So, I said screw it and now I don't run a window manager at all!

I created a ".Xclients" file in the home directory of user mythtv.
(I think it has to have executable permissions)  If .Xclients exists,
then it gets run upon logging in instead of Gnome/KDE/whatever.
My .Xclients file consists of just the following five lines:

#metacity &
xset s off
xset -dpms
mythfrontend
#killall metacity

Notice I commented out the metacity window manager.  You can try
including it, or try other windows managers instead.

This works fine for the TV functions, but may cause you problems for
other modules that start a new window (DVD, games, etc.).  But, it's
fine for me since I only use the TV functions.  It also has has the
advantage of using fewer resources since you're not running a WM, or a
huge desktop like KDE/Gnome.

 - BS