[mythtv-users] Feature request. MythVideo folder browser.

J. Donavan Stanley jdonavan at jdonavan.net
Sat May 22 15:13:41 EDT 2004

Phillip Wiggin wrote:

>Why don't you just take a step back and take a pill?  How, precisely, does
>"we might add it" mean "we're sitting around waiting on requests"?  To me,
>it sounds like "if we have spare time and find your problem interesting,
>we might look at it".  Scratch your own damned itches, and assuming not
>all the MythTV developers are as cranky as you, maybe (I say MAYBE)
>someone else will look at feature requests and find something that
>interests them.

You know, we only start getting cranky when people like you get all
indignant when a feature request is met with a reminder that code speaks
louder than words.

>Dan, at _no_ point did I say _anything_ about _any_ of the developers
>"chomoping at the bit waiting for people to demand more of their time".
>These people aren't "demanding", they're "asking".

And they simply get told that in all likelihood their request isn't
going to be honored unless it's an important issue to a developer.

>Huzzah for lanugage support!  It's _fantastic_ that someone decided to
>implement something on their own!  I'm all in favor of it.  The person who
>implemented it did a wonderful thing by contributing.  However, not all
>people have the ability to code their desires.

And those people should get used to not having their desires met.

>As to the supposition that users shouldn't show interest in the wider
>acceptance of a project (by way of feature requests) unless they pay for
>it... I'm at a loss; I truely am.  What's the problem with someone saying
>"It sure would be nice if..."?

Not a thing.   What's the problem with reminding them that's it's
probably not going to happen?

>I'll tell you what _I_ think the problem is (and this could be way off
>base).  I think the problem is your bad attitude.  You think that everyone
>that has an idea for Myth is out to steal _your_ time from you.  If you'd
>stop to think about it, you might realize that these people have _no_
>power over you.  If you don't want to implement someone's ideaa, then
>don't!  But, what good does it do to discourage user suggestions?

Hell  I reccomended to the wiki folks that they start a user requests
section (instead of putting user request in the how to develop for
mythtv section)  so developers could look over it if they were bored and
looking for something to do.

> You make the users feel like none of the developers cares one whit whether
>anyone uses this software.. Maybe that's the case. Maybe all the
>developers are just like you and don't care at all what users want.

We do care, and I personly have worked on user requests in the past.
But user requests take a back seat to developer's itches.  That's just
the way it is.

>Maybe they (the developers) want a "good 'ole boy's club" piece of software
>that's only used by the 8 or 9 devs.  Hell, I don't know.  But you're sure
>doing a good job of making _me_ think I've no nead of being subscribed to
>the users list.  If the OPs opinion isn't wanted, why would mine be?  If
>my opinions aren't even of _interest_ to the developers, obviously the
>software wasn't meant for me.

At want point did your opinion factor into whether the software work or
not?

>There are alternatives to MythTV.  I hope you learn to value your users
>before they start abandoning Myth in favor of the other projects that just
>_might_ be a little more welcoming to ideas. (No, not demands...
>I-D-E-A-S)

Oh for crying out loud.  Please by all means install Windows, and one of
the PVR packages and see how they compare.  Then try and feed feature
requests to *their* dev staff and see where you get.  You might a "thank
you for your input" form letter if you're lucky.

>I realize this seems a bit confrontational, but you seem to have
>misconceptions about the non-devs.  They're not your boss, project
>manager, or even customer.  They're the people that see your work and
>value it, and they'd like to see it even better so that it becomes even
>_more_ popular and useful.

If you're willing to stop using Myth because a developer wouldn't
implement your feature, and told you as much then you've got issues.

>Dan, I really hope you get a reality check and realize we (the users)
>really do appreciate your work and are on your side.

we (the developers and contributors) thank you.

>We (the users) would like to see other things integrated, but we

As would we (the developers and contributors)  just not necessarily the
same things you (the users) would.

>(the users) understand that our suggestions aren't high on your priority list (if even on your list at
>all... apparently they're not on _your_ list).

Then why do you (the users) get all pissy when we say that's not likely
your request will be fulfilled unless it's important enough to a developer.

>We (the users) accept the fact that you (the devs) won't code on things you don't find interesting
>or useful to you, we (the users) don't _expect_ you to.

Then why do you (the users) get all pissy when we say that's not likely
your request will be fulfilled unless it's important enough to a developer.

> We (the potential devs) (I'd been giving some thoughts to contributing code myself, before
>all this nastyness started.) can see your opinions and how you're regarded
>by them (the users).

Nobody was nasty to any user *until* said users started bitching about
being told that feature requests without code to back them up are
frowned on.

Here's the kicker, as I was mowing my lawn I started thinking about how
to implement this, as well as another MythVideo related request from a
use in #mythtv-users and had planned on starting on it tonight.