[mythtv-users] Feature request. MythVideo folder browser.

Kevin Kuphal kuphal at dls.net
Sat May 22 10:45:33 EDT 2004

Dan Morphis wrote:

> You miss the point.  As Bruce (and myself, and others) have pointed
> out; mythtv is a project comprised of itches.  If *you* have an itch,
> freakin scratch it.  Don't expect other people to scratch it for you.
> This is NOT commercial software, where feature demands^h^h^h^h^h^h^h^h
> suggestions would be welcome, and accepted.

Dan, this is not directed at you but it does touch on a topic here.
Unfortunately, the developers here often miss the point from the other
side of the aisle.  Many open source projects welcome feature requests,
provide open bug tracking, and many of the other features that were
mentioned, and while to Isaac and others at the core this might be their
baby and they do it for their own enjoyment, this project is so well
developed and exceptionally coded that it has fostered a larger
community outside of that.  It is that community that seems to be either
ignored or put down when they cannot or will not contribute code.

What is more disheartening is that these same people that chide end
users because they cannot contribute, are seemingly willing to be
downright hostile to anyone, developer or user, who seeks to fill the
gap between developers and end users by providing a support system that
in all actuality could reduce the "load" on the developers by organizing
user input.  Unfortunately they see this as an assault on *their*
project and not a positive contribution.   It would seem more beneficial
if they could see that everyone here is trying to better this project in
various ways.  People asking for bug tracking or a particular feature is
not an attempt to demand more work from the developers, but to give
direction to a project that many people feel very closely attached to
because unlike most open source project, this one sits in their living
room, is used by their families, and has a closer place to them than a
web browser or MP3 player on their computer.  These enhancements could
very well bring more developers forward instead of discouraging
contributors by giving them impression that the core team here isn't
interested in anything but their own itches.

And don't misinterpret this, I have contributed code to the project, I
do understand that no one wants to spend their free time working but
instead codes from enjoyment and what they enjoy may not be in line with
the users.  But please, no one should shut the door on contributers here
because it doesn't fit *their* vision of the project.  By putting this
out in the open people have been invited to come in.  By putting out
releases, non-developing users are encouraged to use the product.  I
just think that it shouldn't stop there.  This project is too good to be
seen by users as inaccessible or discouraging to their input.

Kevin