[mythtv-users] PVR-350 vs PVR-250 + GeForce4MX

Micah fanmail at micah-wedemeyer.net
Wed May 19 16:34:56 EDT 2004

Hi,

I'm rolling around the idea of putting together a dedicated Myth box, and I'm
trying to nail down my choice of hardware.

My current problem is deciding between a PVR-350 or a PVR-250 + GeForce4MX
with TV-out.

My issues and priorities are in this order:
1. Stability <-- Highest priority
2. Ease of setup
3. Image quality

I was leaning heavily toward the PVR-350 because it simply seems better suited
to a dedicated Myth box.  However, after reading Jarod's guide, it seems that
stability and ease of setup are issues with the PVR-350.

Cost wise, a quick check on newegg showed that the price difference was about
$10 (with the PVR-350 being cheaper).  That is close enough to be negigible in
my book.

Some other related notes:
-------------------------
* I will be using composite TV-out.  I don't have S-video on my TV.  Future
TVs will probably have S-video or better.

* I want to be able to use the console emulators.  I don't know if they can
leverage the 3D capabilities of a video card (like the GeForce).  Can they?

* My Linux knowledge is spotty at best.  I have compiled kernels and such, but
not much more.  I still don't understand things like KDE vs Gnome, X-Windows,
etc.  I am an experienced Linux user, not admin.

* The addition of the GeForce would take up the AGP slot, so I'm not losing
any PCI slots by putting it in.

So, any advice would be quite helpful.

Thanks,
Micah