[mythtv-users] Setup questions (FC1)

Jarod Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Wed May 19 00:46:20 EDT 2004

On May 18, 2004, at 15:55, match at ece.utah.edu wrote:

> On 18 May 2004 at 14:37, Andy Lee wrote:
>>
>> - In general, is it a good idea to go ahead and let up2date do it's
>> magic, or is that more likely to screw things up than anything else?
>>

> Don't do it! up2date will magically break your system. It was so slow
> when I tried to use
> it (just because the little exclamation point anoyed me) that after
> DAYS of doing
> updates, I never did get back to a system where versions of various
> softwares (like
> compilers and libraries GEEZ!) would play nicely with each other.
> Never again will I fall
> for that trap.
>
> And up2date used to work so well with RedHat 9. I haven't gone back to
> up2date on
> FC1 to see if it's fixed, and at this point I won't bother.

up2date *should* be okay, but yeah, it isn't. Still seems rather wonky
for me in FC2, which I installed on my desktop this morning. 3 updates
out already, but constant stalling even trying to fetch headers
(probably because mirrors are slammed by folks grabbing the isos). I
haven't used up2date at all since the RHL9 days -- I've just been
disabling the applet and doing everything with apt.

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE

Got a question? Read this first...
     http://wilsonet.com/mythtv/