[mythtv-users] New to MythTV, help please...

Josh Dalcher mythtv at dalcher.com
Tue May 18 22:23:11 EDT 2004

Hello everyone!

I'm two days into getting my MythTV system running, and I've hit some snags.  I will attempt to describe the details of my situation in hope that someone can help me through this.  I'm using Jarod's guide, and I have successfully made it all the way through my Hauppauge PVR-350 tests.  My card successfully displays a test pattern, rips to mpg, and passes the live-tv test with flying colors.

The only real difference between my configuration and the one specified in Jarod's guide is that my PCI bus ID is 0:0b.0.  The problems start to occur when I tried his XFConfig to make my PVR-350 display X.  I took his config and made the appropriate change to my PCI bus address and checking to make sure my framebuffer device was the same as his (it is)  my TV didn't display anything after restarting X.

The other video card that I have in that system is a nVidia GeForce2 Ultra that I was using only for a monitor.  I didn't install additional nvidia drivers, as the guide instructed.

I attempted to continue on to the lirc portion of the guide.  This didn't work either, I followed the directions for the Hauppauge Grey Remote exactly and got everything loaded up and started, but when I attempted to test my remote irw didn't give me any output.

I went on to mythtvsetup.  I selected the PVR-350 option for input devices and /dev/video0 for the device, as Jarod did.  I also left the Composite 0 as default input.  I created my video sources, which appeared to complete correctly.  I assigned the xmltv item that I made to Composite 0 in Step 4.  After filling the database and starting the backend, I loaded up the frontend.  I peformed all of the settings for the PVR-350 video out and selected the /dev/video16 as the decoder device.

I can't watch live TV yet, even though my tests completed succesfully.  When I attempt to the monitor goes black and my TV does nothing.  I don't believe my card is at fault, as it is able to pass the display tests properly.  One last note about my setup: I have a ten-year-old JVC television that only has coaxial input, so my 350's video out has to go through a RF modulator so it can hook up to my TV.  As stated before, the tests in Jarod's guide worked properly this way, so I don't think this is at fault either.

Can anyone help me get these problems resolved?  I would appreciate any advice you could give me, I'm itching to get my MythTV system operational!  Please let me know if you need any information regarding my configuration files in order to help me troubleshoot.

Thank you all!

Josh