Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] HD noise and PVR250

Gregory J. McGee gjmcgee at cableone.net
Tue May 18 01:44:14 EDT 2004

Awhile back, someone posted about this:

hdparm -I /dex/hda

Somewhere in the dump, it will say something like :
Recommended acoustic management value: 192, current value: 255

Read the man page, and set it to the suggested value.
(yeah, I suck ;-)
The drive seems to save this: mine is still actually 192,and 128.
I edited the above for effect.

My drives are now dead silent, and hdparm -Tt shows the drives to be
virtually the same speed in one case( 44.5 MB/sec vs 45.something)
and the other one appears to be FASTER (~25 vs 43)

Reiserfs is great for your / fs. Put video on xfs.

--
Gregory J. McGee <gjmcgee at cableone.net>