[mythtv-users] Myth CVS + Alsa + S/PDIF

Nick Adams mythtv at narkov.com
Mon May 17 21:12:17 EDT 2004

Steven Cruysberghs wrote:

>>> Can I ask how? I'm still without SPDIF audio.
>>
>> Turning off "Enable AC3 to SPDIF passthrough" makes/allows the
>> audio to work. This somehow doesn't seem like it's operating as
>> it's designed to. Yes/no?
>

> It is operating as it is designed. The ac3 passthrough is only usable
> if your tv broadcast have ac3 audio in them. What you are doing is
> outputting stereo (2 channel) audio on the spdif output

No it's not. The description presented when you highlight the option states:

"Enables sending AC3 directly to your sound card's SPDIF output, ***on
sources which contain AC3 soundtracks*** (usually digital TV). Requires
that the audio output device be set to something suitable".

The asterisks were added for emphasis. As you correctly stated, this
analog stereo source doesn't and couldn't contain an AC3 soundtrack so
according to that definition this option should have no effect.

So either that blurb of text needs to be updated or the behavior of the
option needs to be changed. I think the latter one would be preferred.

Thanks,

Nick Adams.