[mythtv-users] Mailing list and a Wiki... and a dessert topping

Bill Chmura Bill at Explosivo.com
Mon May 17 17:33:26 EDT 2004

Yeah, but sometimes searching the archives so to speak do not reflect the
current opinion of a community.  If you searched the american history for
slavery you'd see that it was considered a good idea at one time.

On Monday 17 May 2004 04:30 pm, Dan Morphis wrote:
> I'm 100% sure if you search the archives you would find that this has
> been discussed to death.  I'm also sure that if you searched the
> archives you would find what Isaac has said in regards to wiki's
>
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/engine?list=mythtv&do=search_results&
>search_forum=forum_1&search_string=wiki&search_type=AND&search_fields=sb&sea
>rch_time=&search_user_username=ijr at po.cwru.edu&sb=score&mh=25
>
> -dan
>
> Bill Chmura wrote:
> >I say let there be the existing mailing lists, the official docs and a
> > wiki. Wikis are good to putting in new docs, etc...  The mailing list is
> > good for discussions and having gossamer is good for searching.
> >
> >I don't like the idea of a forum on top of this... I think maybe splitting
> > the mailing lists into a myth-users and myth-hardware would cut down on
> > some of the traffic that maybe making a forum attractive to some.
> >
> >So if I had a vote, I would say +1 for a wiki (for user contributed
> >documentation and walk throughs and such).  -1 for a forum or other
> >discussion based technology.
> >
> >Aside from that, I think this chain has reached the point where no one is
> >going to convince anyone that they are right or wrong, and since its not
> >going away I am guessing that it will go on forever.  So, to all parties
> >involved, I would say just do it.  If the community is behind you they
> > will use it.
> >
> >The internet is a great place

- --

Bill Chmura

w. http://www.fistfullofcode.com
w. http://www.explosivo.com

"No matter what, never, ever, ever, ever tell your girl friend she is looking
a little puffy."
- -Ancient chinese proverb

"Some people go to bed with Lucifer, then they cry when they don't greet the
day with God"
- -Monster Magnet

Without good motivation, science and technology, instead of helping, bring
more fear and threaten global destruction. Compassionate thought is very
important for humankind.
- -His Holiness the Dalai Lama