[mythtv-users] Forums

papenfuss at juneau.me.vt.edu papenfuss at juneau.me.vt.edu
Mon May 17 15:04:14 EDT 2004

> True.  I know people who seem to like web-based UIs.  I think
> they're horrible.  The worst part is they're all different.  I
> subscribe to a dozen or so mailing lists.  The UI for _all_ of
> them is 1) identical 2) completely configurable by the USER.
> With forums, they're all completely different and I can't set
> up the UI the way I like it.  If all the forums had the _same_
> awful UI, at least a person could be come accustomed to it.

	Amen... web-based forums is the wrong tool for the jobs of
disseminating information (multiple threads, etc).  In addition to the
aforementioned crappy (and usually unique) interface, Most forums have a really
low SNR.  Using a webpage with fancy graphics, frames, forms, logins, cookies,
and javascript is complete bullsh*t for conveying ASCII text from one person to
another.  Quitcherbitchin', find a real email client, and sit back and learn
something.

:)

-Cory
* The prime directive of Linux:  					*