[mythtv-users] Forums

Jeff "Muddy" Waters mythtv at muddysmind.com
Mon May 17 08:41:46 EDT 2004

On Sat, 2004-05-15 at 12:51, Grant Edwards wrote:
> On Sat, May 15, 2004 at 11:18:54AM -0400, J. Donavan Stanley wrote:
> > Jeff "Muddy" Waters wrote:
> >
> >>p.s. before a flame war starts I'm not trying to replace the
> >>mail lists or the equally confusing wiki. It's just my feeble
> >>attempt to do what I can to help out since I don't program.
> >
> > Since none of those that can and do program will use this
> > forum nor will most/all of the "power users" you're going to
> > end up with the blind leading the blind.
>
> That's been my experience in the past with other "forums". The
> technically savvy tend to prefer mailing lists or newsgroups
> (which IMO, are far, far easier to use and a much more
> efficient use of my time). If somebody wants to start a forum
> and fragment things even further, I certainly am not going to
> tell them they can't.

My problems are with the highly inefficient use of space, CPU and time
that a mail list requires. It's far more efficient in my eyes to put all
things mythtv related (mythtv, lirc, ivtv) into one spot so if you so
choose to do a search it covers all areas. Also when I ask a question in
a mail list it's sometimes impossible to determine if you've had an
answer. However like I said it's all personal preference.

Besides do you realize how much HD space the 2 years of this one mail
list alone soaked up? I never realized I had so much space until I
deleted it all but this months.

:-D