[mythtv-users] DVB and DVD-backup

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Wed May 12 10:25:54 EDT 2004

On Wednesday 12 May 2004 08:54, Daniel g wrote:
> I have seen it discussed here that MPEG2->MPEG2
> re-coding (for commercials-cleaning) is basically
> complete and working (in CVS I presume).
>
> Using myth0.14 with DVB-t (nova-t) I obviously end up
> with large MPEG2-coded .nuv files.
>
> Question:
> Is there any existing capability or technique (either
> within Myth code or external) that allows one to
> export the MPEG2 data from the .nuv files *without
> transcoding* in such a way as to allow relatively
> quick VideoDVD authoring?
> This would seem to be the obvious, portable choice for
> DVB users.
>
> nuvexport can create DVD-compliant files but only
> through transcoding, which is very slow and lossy.

Don't let the .nuv extension fool you... they're just regular MPEG-2
files.  If you want to edit/author them under Windows, just rename them
with a .mpg or .mpeg extension.

Only the software-encoded (RTjpeg, MPEG-4) or MJPEG .nuv files are
actually in Myth's NuppelVideo format.  The other files (MPEG-1, MPEG-2
from hardware MPEG encoders or DVB cards) simply have a .nuv extension
to make it easier for Myth to generate filenames from the database.

-JAC