[mythtv-users] Strange sound problem...

Adrian Flynn adrian.flynn at worldtravel.ie
Wed May 12 04:29:13 EDT 2004

Steffen Schlink wrote:
> Joseph A. Caputo schrieb:
>
>> Are you using the TV-out of the PVR-350?  If so, the sound is
>> probably coming out of your -350 instead of your sound card.
>> MythMusic will use your sound card, though, and so will MythVideo
>> (unless you're using a patched mplayer).
>>
> No, I'm not using the PVR TV-out. At the moment I'm just using a
> regular monitor for Video...
> But there is no sound at the PVR outputs.
>
> The recorded files (even the livetv buffer) are decoded in software
> when played back, aren't they?
> So the decoded mpeg audiostream has to go through any soundcard...
>
> Any other ideas?

Hi Steffen

Having just added a new PVR250 to my MythBackend whcih also contains a cheap
bt878 card (using btaudio) I can add the following information:
    On my development machine being used as a frontend, using an integrated
Ensoniq 5880 AudioPCI sound card (KM133 chipset), all works well.

    On my living room frontend, which is a Shuttle SN45G (if I remember
correctly) using the NForce2 chipset, sound _works_ for channels selected
from the bttv card, but not the PVR250. I have selected /dev/adsp as the
output device and this is correctly routed to the optical output of the
Shuttle box (AC3 to SPDIF option is set). I have also tried setting the
output device to /dev/dsp, but this kills the bttv sourced sound and
MythMusic etc - in other words, I get no sound at all on this setting.

A CVS version of Myth from 10 May is being used.

I haven't had the time yet to investigate further but if anyone has any
ideas, I'm all ears!

Regards from Dublin, Ireland

Adrian