[mythtv-users] CVS wget gzip problem

Bruce Markey bjm at lvcm.com
Tue May 11 20:31:20 EDT 2004

Nathan Elliott wrote:
> Now that's a messy hack, but I like how you think!  =>
>
> I tried fooling around with this idea , but can't get past the 401 error
> that is sent after the first attempt.  I'm not sure I really understand how
> this authentication process with a 401 error works exactly.  I keep ending
> up with a file that contains:

Clients should not go around passing out auth info willy-nilly.
First the client requests data from a server blissfully
unaware of if the URL requires authentication (even if it
did yesterday, it may not today). The server asks "who goes
there?" (401) with a realm name header for the auth required. In
this case "WWW-Authenticate: Digest realm="TMSWebServiceRealm ..."
The client connects a second time but this time sends the credentials
that the server said it requires.

--  bjm