[mythtv-users] Myth Music Shuffle Question

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Mon May 10 11:55:01 EDT 2004

On Saturday 08 May 2004 22:44, Matt Hannan wrote:
> So, just what makes the "Smart" setting so smart?
>
> What is the difference between normal shuffle and "intelligent"?
>
> Can one of you developer guys post the different algorithms, or is
> that belittling to the process of generating random play lists?
>
> Seriously, I am interested in the difference and what makes the
> "random" work.

'random' shuffle is just that -- random.  It builds a random ordering of
the tracks in the playlist using the "rand()" function from the
standard C library.  'Intelligent' shuffle takes into account a weight
given to each track, based on the number of times it's been played
before and a manually-assigned user rating.  I don't use it, so I can't
really remember how the weight figures into the shuffle... I think
maybe it puts higher-rated/weighted tracks at either the beginning or
end of the ordering.

-JAC