[mythtv-users] no sound for TV-related functions

David Wadler david at davidwadler.com
Mon May 10 10:25:42 EDT 2004

> >  I have another cable running from my DVD to the onboard CD-IN.
> > As I mentioned digital and CD sound work without a hitch.
> >
> > I went to alsamixer and set "Line" to CAPTUR and muted it.
>
> Not so perfect :-(. You said you plugged your bttv internal cable
> into AUX-IN. Therefore, you want to mark AUX as the CAPTUR device
> and mute it.

I can't recall whether there was an AUX-IN option in alsamixer.  I'll
explain why "remembering" is important below.  However, theoretically, what
your saying makes sense.

> > I get no sound from the television.  If I unmute "Line," I get sound
that
> > is out-of-sync with video, so I know that the pass-thru is working
>
> That doesn't make sense. Did you also use the external patch
> cable to line in? Or is AUX unmuted and turned up so that it
> is the actual source of the pass-thru sound?

I can't recall.

> > I'm able to load the btaudio modules, but there is no change in sound.
>
> The btaudio module will always load but that doesn't mean the
> card has an onboard DSP. Even for the few that do, I believe
> using a soundcard is the better solution anyway and btaudio
> should only be used if there isn't a PCI slot for a soundcard.

That was what I'd heard and I was trying to get everything via my soundcard,
but was struggling to do so.

In any case, thanks so much for the prompt reply.  Unfortunately, when I was
trying to fix this, I completely hosed my Fedora box.  I'd been somewhat
frustrated with Fedora anyway, so I wiped it and put on Gentoo.  Talk about
frustration! <sigh>  I'm probably still a few days away from even being
ready to install Myth again, but I'll apply your advice when I do.

Thanks again,
David