[mythtv-users] DVB and transcoding

Bruce Cooper bruce at brucecooper.net
Sat May 8 21:45:26 EDT 2004

Hi guys,

I have got MythTV set up and running now, and most things are going
great, but I do have one problem.  I am using a budget DVB tuner card
and my backend server is running on a very slow EPIA ME-6000, which is
incapable of transcoding the MPEG-2 transport stream into a .nuv stream
in real time.  The result is that whenever I try to record a program, or
watch live TV for that matter, the CPU on the backend server jumps to
100% and after a few minutes of recording or viewing with stutters, the
recording stops or the entire application seg faults.

My frontend machine is powerful enough to decode MPEG-2 on the fly; it
is only the backend that is causing the problem.  I realise this is the
opposite way that most people set up their systems, but I want to
conserve power when I am not using my TV, so use a low-power machine for
my always on backend server.

All of this would be solved by using the raw MPEG-2 program stream as
the file format instead of transcoding into nuppelvideo.  I have read on
the mailing list archives and elsewhere that it should be possible to
get MythTV to do this, but I can't work out how.  The recording profiles
only offer RTJpeg and MPEG-4 as transcoding options.  Is there a FAQ
somewhere on how to do this?

If anyone can give some assistance, it would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.