[mythtv-users] TV out card suggestions

Poobah poobah at techsquadron.com
Thu May 6 21:48:50 EDT 2004

ARRRGGGGH!!!!

I built a shuttle XPC front end diskless workstation that works really
well, except for TV out.  Shuttle makes a card, part number CV21, that
plugs into the AGP slot and displays the onboard 845G video out through
Composite, S-Video, and even DVI.  It would work great if I was in
Europe, because it will only output in PAL.  There is a Jumper to select
NTSC / PAL, but it makes no difference.  I went through with their tech
support, flashed BIOS, tried it in all resolutions, made sure that my TV
accepted an NTSC signal using my DVD player, and finally RMA'd the card.
When I got the new one tonight, IT HAS THE SAME PROBLEM!!

I do like the option of this card, because it is a single, dinky chip.
I'd rather not have to use a big, fancy nVidia or ATI if possible. One
less fan, less heat.  Anyone use this setup?  Any suggestions?

If it doesn't work out, what would people suggest for TV out?  Right
now, all my VCRs / TVs use composite, but I'd like something that has
DVI for when I get the bigscreen.

Thanx,
Mark Hanson

P.S. Sorry for the rant, but I went rounds with tech support for a
month, being told "Please try to change your resolution to 800X600 or to
the lowest setting," "Why are you using PAL? PAL mode is not support in
US," and "It could be your TV does not support NTSC, please try another
TV to see if that works."  It'd be funny if I wasn't seeing red...