[mythtv-users] RE:Burning to DVD (saving MPEG clips)

Gregory J. McGee gjmcgee at cableone.net
Thu May 6 14:11:44 EDT 2004

> Message: 3
> Date: Wed, 05 May 2004 19:46:24 -0400
> From: "J. Donavan Stanley" <jdonavan at jdonavan.net>
> Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] RE:Burning to DVD (saving MPEG clips)
> To: Discussion about mythtv <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
>
> myth-lane at dowobeha.net wrote:
>
> >I guess I thought that avidemux2 reprocessed the video.
> >

> Oh, and it can do that was well.  Lots of filters for both audio and
> video.

Mandrake 10 (Official) and cooker have 2.0.22, need that version or
higher(?) for the mpeg2-PS save directly from withing avidemux.

Some version should be in Debian, haven't checked. Might need unstable
for 2.0.22, due to deps. (gtk2.0+)

I use vobview to preview and merge multiple vobs onto a DVD, and dump
the iso. Haven't made a coaster yet. Note---The dump path is hardcoded
in vobview, can't remember where, something like /tmp, I changed it to
/video/tmp and recompiled, now goes on my 120G recording drive.

One of the standard "features" of avidemux2 is the way you save
things---If you select another say video codec and audio codec, select
"aprocess", but DON'T select the "vprocess" button, and save, it will
save out with the new audio encoding and just do a fast copy on the
video stream, preserving the video format, and using almost no cpu time.

For example: if you have transcoded your recordings to mpeg4 already,
and just want an avi, save as an avi, with no audio or video process
selected... it will copy both streams, and only take a few minutes.

MPEG2-PS from MPEG2 nuvs is going to be only limited speed wise by your
harddrive speed, as its sort of "reassembles" the file with additional
info, a recompile if you will.