[mythtv-users] SOLVED: UK xmltv/tv_grab - just a couple more general problems

Stephen Tait tait at digitallaw.co.uk
Tue May 4 20:38:17 EDT 2004

Damnit, I hate replying to admit my own idiocy! Sorry about the last post
guys. Almost everything is all OK...!

After delving into XMLTV and trying to figure out how it worked (as well as
the very few similar errors google reported from other users), I deleted
the file ~/.xmltv/tv_grab_uk_rt.conf, which was the file holding the
channel name/URL thingies. Then I ran mythfilldatabase, and it all went in.
Seems that xmltv checks this file as a global, and if the data coming down
doesn't match it exactly it chokes and dies. Hence deleting it removed my
problem, wahoo! A quick SQL query shows both the channel and program tables
are choc-full of data.

The quality of the TV is wicked, considering my crummy little aerial... and
playback uses absolutely *no* CPU which, seeing as I'm using a PVR-250, I
must put down to the supposed MPEG2 acceleration in my GeForceFX (with evil
tainted drivers, unfortunately).

Now my only problems (fairly minor and niggling ones) are that:

1) I can't seem to change channels whilst watching TV (it seems to be want
to subject me to some program involving bad lookalikes of Marylin Monroe
and Einstein), but I've seen other people with this problem so it shouldn't
be too hard to fix

2) Both the program guide, manual schedule and the OSD are all empty, which
I find odd to say the least. Especially considering that the program finder
is packed with all kinds of stuff. Well, not all kinds, just TV kinds of stuff.

3) Arr. Myth is displaying the wrong time - it's running an hour ahead of
BST. Oops, just checked system time and *that's* an hour ahead too - d'oh!.
Sorry, ignore this one!

Once the above two are sorted out I'll start collating my UK howto from all
the greppy little text files I've left lying about everywhere. Thanks for
all your help guys!

One highly satisfied MythTV user. Congrats to all on a job damned well done :)