[mythtv-users] prebuilt pvrs for developers benefit?

Bill Chmura Bill at Explosivo.com
Tue May 4 17:43:39 EDT 2004

On Tuesday 04 May 2004 02:56 pm, James Orr wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-05-04 at 13:39, Bill Chmura wrote:
> > Is it really illegal to edit out commercials?  I doubt it since I have a
> > VCR that marks and autoskips commercials.  I know ted turner says you are
> > stealing if you don't watch all the commericals with undivided attention
> > (no bathroom trips for you) - but big business only owns the goverment,
> > not the hearts and souls of the people (well maybe some of the dumber
> > ones).
>
> No, it's perfectly legal to edit out commercials.  I was really just
> trying to point out that distribution is actually illegal while editing
> isn't though some people would like it to be :).
>
> Most PVRs won't have an editing option.  I think Myth is the only one
> that does, right?  But still, advertisers will have to move into a
> different area.  Personally I think it will be more on screen ads during
> shows than product placement.

Unfortunately I agree with you 100%.. Basically we are heading toward having
the lower 33% of the screen filled with ads and promotions constantly.  Not
to mention hellish product placement in the programming...

"Do you think he enjoyed the crisp refreshing taste of diet coke before he was
shot Jim?"

"No sonny, but there is really nothing like a refreshing diet coke is there?
I just love putting up my Addias lying back on my sealy postrapedic mattress
and enjoying one."

> Networks already do it to advertise their
> own shows, there was one recently that not only popped a baseball up on
> the screen but had the sound of a crowd cheering which totally drowned
> out the sound on the program.  Very annoying.  It's just a matter of
> time before it's a pepsi ad, and people will accept it because it's too
> much hassle to complain about and we like our shows too much to boycot
> them.

- --

Bill Chmura

w. http://www.fistfullofcode.com
w. http://www.explosivo.com

"No matter what, never, ever, ever, ever tell your girl friend she is looking
a little puffy."
- -Ancient chinese proverb

"Some people go to bed with Lucifer, then they cry when they don't greet the
day with God"
- -Monster Magnet

Without good motivation, science and technology, instead of helping, bring
more fear and threaten global destruction. Compassionate thought is very
important for humankind.
- -His Holiness the Dalai Lama