[mythtv-users] Problem getting Myth fully functional on Gentoo

Stephen Tait tait at digitallaw.co.uk
Tue May 4 14:57:46 EDT 2004

At 14:34 04/05/2004 -0400, you wrote:

>I had a similar problem with mythfrontend on my laptop.  Your problem
>could indeed be the lack of a sound card.  Try running mythfrontend
>from Eterm (xterm, whatever) and check the output.  My problem was
>that Myth was unable to open /dev/dsp (the soundcard) since it was
>already in use by another program.  Yours could be that it can't open
>/dev/dsp because it doesn't exist.
>

>- --Phill W.

I doubt if it'd solve the problem, but I sometimes encountered (non fatal,
just warning) errors when I used /dev/dsp. I switched it to /dev/sound/dsp
(the ALSA OSS emulation dsp if memory serves me correctly) and all worked
dunky hory. Apparently the alsa-oss package is meant to symlink /dev/dsp to
sound/dsp, but in my case it didn't (since something busticated my ALSA
somewhere along the line).