[mythtv-users] Is there a ALSA howto?

Tue May 4 12:53:14 EDT 2004

On Tue, 4 May 2004, Daniel Thor Kristjansson wrote:

> Is there any online guide for setting up ALSA in myth?
>
> I tried putting "ALSA:0" in the soundcard section and Myth said the
> device didn't exist. I know I have two alsa cards working, so.... I
> think this is what I used to get alsa working before. I'm using the
> CVS as of last night. I looked through the MythTV documentation and
> didn't find anything useful. Am I just missing something?
>
> (I had switched to arts but I upgraded KDE and now ARTS is broken.)
>
> -- Daniel

I use "ALSA:iec958", but I want all my audio to go out the S/PDIF
connector of the "first" card.  I *believe*, you can say something like:

"ALSA:hw:1,4"

This would tell it to use card 1 instead of 0, and device 4 instead of 0.

You should be able to figure out what "device" you need by doing an

aplay -l

Some people have needed to get their .asoundrc file set up just right for it
to work.

John