[mythtv-users] prebuilt pvrs for developers benefit?

James Orr james at orrwhat.net
Tue May 4 11:17:53 EDT 2004

On Tue, 2004-05-04 at 10:36, daryl faulds wrote:
> In my opinion high-end is the only market now. I'll
> give an example. I've built stand-alone linux-based
> ripper/players that sound brilliant. The folks who got
> them wanted sound-quality and convenience and had the
> money to pay. Saw one in use at a party, the hostess
> never downloaded an MP3 in her life and here she was
> showing off the thing loaded with something like two
> thousand tunes. I doubt she will ever use an iPod with
> earbuds.

>From what i've seen in responses here, it seems like high-end and
possibly non-US markets where TiVo is not yet available.

> MythTV hits those same buttons with my hostess. I have
> built three different MySQL/MySQL implementations of
> linux-based PVR and (again, my opinion) MythTV is the
> most attractive. Having said that, it just can not
> compete with RealPlayTV, and the hordes of cable-box
> linked PVR that are coming. MythTV can compete with
> TiVo handily, but that is not the competion in the
> future.

Well, I was talking to a cable installer recently and he mentioned that
they had just received the new cable boxes with the built in PVR
(TiVo).  The catch is, they are HDTV only.  I don't have an HDTV and I
don't intend on buying one anytime in the forseeable future, so those
boxes are useless to me.

> The competition for the future likely comes from the
> BitTorrent type access to HDTV within minutes after a
> TV show airs. Even now you can grab nice versions of
> the Sopranos etc right after the airing on the East
> Coast. No tv-card needed.

Which is illegal.

--
James Orr <james at orrwhat.net>