[mythtv-users] MythTV production run

Bill Chmura Bill at Explosivo.com
Tue May 4 10:16:57 EDT 2004

Sure, that would probably get the cost down... but I doubt they are going to
do the design and construction for a small amount of boxes.  I've never dealt
with offshore manufacturing (or onshore for that matter), but I would assume
that it would need a big initial investment and so forth.   Its probably what
Tivo did to get their price down.

The discussion was about getting a few people to kick in money to attain the
volume... I don't think its possible.  And, although I think MythTv is a
fantastic product versus whats out there - I don't think its reasonable for
it to move it too a mainstream product without a huge amount of capital.

Just to cover the legal fees of Tivo suing, the RIAA suing, and so forth would
be tough.  Mind you these are not legitamite claims, but just trying to drive
the new guy off by burying him in legal muck.

On Tuesday 04 May 2004 01:54 am, Jack Burghardt wrote:
> What if you go to one of companies in China and tell them that need box of
> this size with tv tunner mpeg 2 decoder
> and that you want run linux on it they design it for you and write drivers
> and in volume it may cost you 100 to 150 a box and price hard drive. You
> can make more money in HDTV market

- --