[mythtv-users] How do you send TV-Out audio to the sound card?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon May 3 20:42:32 EDT 2004

Kevin Barsby wrote:

>Given mplayer can be made to support the mpeg2 decoder on the 350, and I
>only have a 1GHz processor then I think this will be the path which
>bears the best fruit, leaving me only lacking the DVD menu feature.

Yes.  You're definitely on the right track.

For me, I decided a DVD player that doesn't support DVD nav is not
useful (after all the time/effort I've put into my Myth box, my friends
would have a field day with a DVD player that doesn't work right...).
Therefore, I'm actually switching from the PVR-350's TV out to VGA out
through a VGA to NTSC converter (see
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/perl/mailarc/gforum.cgi?post=103525 ).
The benefits are: a) I don't lose system stability (PVR-350's TV out is
too new, so the drivers have a way to go), b) I get Xv support, allowing
the media player to do software decoding, c) I can use any of a number
of video cards, d) I get to learn how to build a VGA to NTSC converter
(I'm building the AD724-EB), and e) every time I use my Myth box, I can
think about how I could have just bought a PVR-250 and saved some money.  :)

Mike