[mythtv-users] RE: 2.6 driver for pcHDTV

Mon May 3 12:03:13 EDT 2004

On Mon, 3 May 2004, Scott W. Edwards wrote:

> >    I sent an email to Jack Kelliher at pcHDTV last week asking about
> the
> > status for an "official" 2.6.x driver.
> >    He replied, and said he is just finishing it up.  He should be able
> > to post it on the pcHDTV site in about a week.
>
> >Oh good news. Ulmo's drivers, bless his heart for working on it in the
> >first
> >place, have been causing me a lot of headaches. Because I use an amd64
> chip
> >I pretty much have to run 2.6.x to get any support for my motherboards
> >hardware.
>

> I would not put too much stock in getting any drivers out of pcHDTV.
> Here is an e-mail I received from Jack 2 months ago.
>
> Hello Scott,
>
> 	We're trying to work some bugs out getting it ready so I can't
> say for sure when but I'm hopping we'll finish by next week.
>
> 	Jack Kelliher
> 	pcHDTV, Inc.
>
> This was sent 03-01-2004
>
> I will say that I have had very good luck with Ulmo's ver. N with
> 2.6.4-rc1.
>

> We can hope...

I also got a reply from Jack way back when, saying "next week".  I just hope
this time it is for real.

I have compiled up the same CVS version of Myth using the same compile
options, under Fedora Core 1 (kernel 2.4.25) and Fedora Core 2 test 3 (kernel
2.6.6rc3).  Playback under Fedora Core 2 is significantly better than under
Fedora Core 1.

Pans are much smoother with the 2.6 kernel.  I was reasonably happy with the
result I was getting under the 2.4 kernel, but now that I have seen what is
possible with the 2.6 kernel, it is hard to imagine going back.

One thing that is kind of interesting; mythfrontend insists on running in a
window under the GNOME that comes with Fedora Core 2.  It runs correctly in
a full screen with the KDE that comes with Fedora Core 2.

John