[mythtv-users] Third Frontend solution? XBox??

Scott Nicholson mythtv at scottnic.com
Mon May 3 11:38:52 EDT 2004

I bought an Xbox specifically to use as a frontend (don't have it set up yet
-- still working on the backend) and put a modchip in it.

I got the OzXodus Xenium -- one of the more expensive chips but it's got a
lot of nice features. It comes with a "pin header" that is soldered to the
Xbox motherboard, and then the chip just plugs right in. There's one
additional solder point (called "d0") that's a bit of a pain, but I have
very little soldering experience and was able to get it installed with no
difficulty.

There are solderless chips available too, but I've heard that there is a
tendency for them to lose contact over time and need adjusted.

There are a ton of tutorials and howtos (not only on installing modchips,
but also on a lot of other things you can do with a modded Xbox) at
www.xbox-scene.com

---