[mythtv-users] Frontend/backend description

Henrik Bentel hbentel at comcast.net
Sun May 2 14:03:15 EDT 2004

Hi

I'm about to set up a separate mythfrontend on my new soltek 3401 box.
I've read what I can find about front end only boxes in the documentation
and I "think" I know how to set it up.
But what I think is lacking is a description on how the frontends and the
backends work together.

What is the responsibility of the backend? multiple backends?
Is everything streamed from the backend machines to the frontend? Or are
files transferred from backend to frontend, then played. Like a local cache.
Is music distributed? Or does every frontend have its own library? can
every fronend access any music library in the netowrk?
How about mythgames? Are they only installed on a frontend basis only? news
configuration?
If I want more than one frontend, can I somehow easily duplicate the
configuration from one frontend to another? central configuration?

basically a whole bunch of question. I'm hoping there is some documentation
somewhere.

thanks,

Henrik