[mythtv-users] Trouble changing channels from Myth

Michael Segulja msegulja at lmdcs.com
Sat May 1 17:32:03 EDT 2004

Here's my setup:

mythbackend system w/ RCA DirecTV receiver and capture card
changechannel script downloaded from the link on the mythtv website and copied to /usr/local/bin/changechannel.

mythfrontend system in the living room.

Here's the problem:
I can open xawtv on the backend and run changechannel channelnumber with no problems.  Channel changes.
On the frontend system, I can start live TV, and open a terminal and SSH to the backend.  Running changechannel channelnumber from the command prompt will change the channel and display this on the frontend live TV session.
However, on the frontend, if I change the channel using the up/down keys, something happens.  I see on the backend where it sends the command to change the channel, but the frontend displays a bunch of garbage on the screen, and then I get a green screen and static for audio.  If I stop the mythbackend and restart it, I get the same thing.  I have to run the backend setup program, clear the capture card configuration, and then recreate my capture card and the inputs.

I'm not sure what's happening, but it seems to be somehow related to the frontend and Myth.  Anybody have any ideas?  I'm running the CVS version from about 2 weeks ago.  I haven't had time yet this weekend to update to the current CVS and recompile to see if that fixes the problem.  It did work once, but then suddenly stopped working for some reason.

Thanks for your help.  I appreciate it!!

Michael Segulja