[mythtv-users] A Few Transcoder Questions

Nowhere nowhere at cox.net
Wed Mar 31 23:14:41 EST 2004

Hi everyone,

I want to be able to transcode shows after I edit the cutlist and I have
a few questions:

1. When I got to setting / recording profiles there are two options.
MPEG2 Encoders and Transcoders. MPEG2 Encoder I get and settings are
fine, I have two PVR 250's .  Under the transcoders section there are
TWO transcoders listed RTJPEG/MPEG4 and MPEG-2. I have no idea when I
hit the "T" key which is being used. Since it replaces the episode when
done recording, I would like to know before transcoding. I cant seem to
find any settings anywhere to tell mythtv which transcoder to use.

2. If I can select which transcoder to use how do I select it? Can I
select MPEG2?

3. The one show I did transcode was much smaller in size (so I suspect
RTJPEG/MPEG4 was used) but the video is very blocky now. Both the MPEG4
and MPEG2 transcoder settings are set to the same bitrate as the
original HW captured settings (2200). What settings under the recording
profiles will fix this?

4. When you hit "T" to transcode and change your mind you can hit "T"
again to stop it but if you hit "T" again it says "Transcoding Stopped."
It does this for every subsequent press of the "T" key and there seems
to be no way to restart the transcoding. Is this by design? Bug?

5. If I use MPEG2 as the transcoder, and I rename the extension to .mpg
after transcoding, will it be SVCD compatible (assuming I have the
resolution and such set correctly).

6. If I hit "T" for several videos, are the queued? Or does it fire the
transcoding off in parallel? (I assume queued...)

I like and have been using nuvexport to convert videos to SVCD but I
would like to be able to queue up several to transcode without all the
interaction nuvexport requires.  Thus the flurry of questions :)

Thanks in advance for the help!

Eric