[mythtv-users] lirc and Xine

Malcolm mythtv at lds.dyndns.org
Wed Mar 31 10:43:49 EST 2004

OK I got Myth's native lirc support working and I got lirc working with
mplayer like this:
mplayer -lircconf ~/.mythtv/lirc-mplayer (used google to figure out contents
of lirc-mplayer)

Xine however is not even connecting to lircd.  I can check /var/log/lircd
and check that.  I finally decided perhaps my xine that comes with Mandrake
10.0 might not be compiled with lirc support.  So I downloaded xine-lib and
xine-gui source and compiled my own.  While compling xine-gui I got this
while running ./configure

checking for lirc_init in -llirc_client... yes
checking lirc/lirc_client.h usability... yes
checking lirc/lirc_client.h presence... yes
checking for lirc/lirc_client.h... yes
checking for "/lib/liblirc_client.a"... no
checking for "/usr/lib/liblirc_client.a"... no
checking for "/usr/local/lib/liblirc_client.a"... yes

Now that leads me to believe xine has found all the lirc libraries and will
compile with lirc support right?
"./configure --help" only shows an option to disable compiling lirc support.
Nothing to enable it.
Yet even after compiling my own xine-lib and xine-gui it still does not even
connect to the lircd and I see no traces of it in the logs (/var/log/lircd).

I also saw on the web that if you get errors about lirc when starting up
Xine that you can use -L to disable support for it.  So I shutdown lircd and
rmmod lirc_i2c and lirc_dev.  Now I have NO lirc stuff running.  I fire up
Xine and no errors or complaints about lirc not been there.

I'm at a loss here.  What's the trick to xine and lirc?

Thanks
Malcolm