[mythtv-users] Re: 2.6.3-4 - low brightness red screen on channel change

Gregory J. McGee gjmcgee at cableone.net
Tue Mar 30 13:28:49 EST 2004

I had NO luck with a quick shot at 2.6.3-7, had a show I wanted to
record... Will get back to it, I think I omitted something in the
config. I'm now running the Mandrake-built 2.4.3-4mdk kernel, with
bttv-0.9.13 installed over the top. (oops... but it works)

I had to go back thru my channel settings in mythweb...
Retuned everything, based on xawtvs settings at optimum image, reset
brightness/contrast etc, as I had not reset this after a few reinstalls,
as i knew only one channel would work, I just set Scifis tuning in the
past due to the channel change redscreen)

I found that if I had a channel set for "0" fine tune, it would still
sometimes mess up, and have the red/black screen.
I set the ones that were to "1", and it started working flawlessly.

Suggested settings, for my card, (Avertv Stereo, Connexant BT878A) but
consider trying them as a starting place on any bttv, or at least 878,
they may "sound" wrong but look great.
(This REALLY helped image quality/got rid of washout/too brite whites)

(64k being 100%)(mythweb>channels settings)
brightness 72% 48000
Contrast 25%	16384
hue 	50%	32768
color 25%	16384

Record/transcode settings
default: Record: rtjpeg/210 mp3/1 720x480

rtjpeg>mpeg4, 2800, HQ/4mv mp3/1 720x480
This had defaulted back to rtjpeg>rtjpeg at some point, and was the
source of my "unknown codec" messages. "not working" is not a logical
default, default fixed in cvs IIRC.

Livetv:	RTjpeg/170 720x480

High Quality: rtjpeg/210 no transcode > avidemux2 >vobview for ISO
generation.

I understand 704x480 is "standard"... Must change that, but the DVDs I
have output work fine...

Gregory J. McGee <gjmcgee at cableone.net>