[mythtv-users] [OT?] PVR problems.

Phill Wiggin alamar at llamamuds.com
Sun Mar 28 23:11:59 EST 2004

[Crossposted to the KnoppMyth forums... Ignore if you think I should
post there or the ivtv list!]

Okay, I'm completely puzzled. I'd appreciate it if anyone can help me
out with this.  I've been searching the archives (this forum, ivtv
list, mythtv list) and haven't found anything that helps.

The rundown:  I have a Leatek WinTV2000/Deluxe (bttv) card in my
KnoppMyth box that's working fine.  (It's coupled with a SB Live
Value).  Several days ago, I installed a Hauppauge PVR-250.

lspci -v
00:0b.0 Multimedia video controller: Internext Compression Inc iTVC15
MPEG-2 Encoder (rev 01)
~        Subsystem: Hauppauge computer works Inc.: Unknown device 4801
~        Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 64, IRQ 11
~        Memory at c4000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=64M]
~        Capabilities: [44] Power Management version 2

Initially, the card worked flawlessly.  My only problem was that I had
to manually modprobe the ivtv module on every reboot. KnoppMyth's boot
sequence seemed to detect the card, but it didn't attempt to load the
ivtv module.

My problems began with the card intermittently not changing channels.
It would record at the correct times, but would always record the same
channel.  I removed the card from MythTV's configuration, reset it's
settings, and all seemed well. (I think this was a fluke.)

Then, I was able to use LiveTV to view one channel, but could not
change the channel.  Now, if I try to watch live TV with the PVR-250,
the screen goes black (like it's trying to buffer the video), and
mythfrontend seems to lock.  I can still switch to another console and
kill the mythfronend process, and X continues to respond.

The modules seem to load fine, ivtv gives:
Mar 28 22:49:00 pvrllama kernel: ivtv: Encoder revision: 0x02040011
Mar 28 22:49:00 pvrllama kernel: ivtv: Decoder revision: 0x02020023
Mar 28 22:49:00 pvrllama kernel: ivtv: Device or minor 0 not accepted
Mar 28 22:49:00 pvrllama kernel: ivtv: Registered v4l2 device, minor 1
Mar 28 22:49:00 pvrllama kernel: ivtv: Registered v4l2 device, minor 32
Mar 28 22:49:00 pvrllama kernel: ivtv: Device or minor 0 not accepted
Mar 28 22:49:00 pvrllama kernel: ivtv: Registered v4l2 device, minor 225
Mar 28 22:49:00 pvrllama kernel: ivtv: loaded

This is the same type of output I was getting when the card was working.

I'm completely perplexed.  I installed the card in a WinXP box to be
sure the card was working, and all was fine.

As of this moment, the card will record at the scheduled times, but
records only channel 4 (wont' change the cannel).  I cannot watch LiveTV.

Has anyone seen/fixed this behavior?

Thanks in advance!

Phill W.