[mythtv-users] Backend suggestions please - h/ware & distro

Jarod Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Sun Mar 28 20:54:00 EST 2004

On Mar 28, 2004, at 14:44, Jon Whitear wrote:

>> At the time I had the machine locking up on me on a regular basis
>> (solved by a motherboard bios update) but from memory I plugged them
>> in
>> compiled up the drivers had a few mins faffing with the dll on the
>> windoze cd so they could download the firmware and it worked. Probably
>> about 15 mins after opening the boxes.
>>
>> I have noticed that the kernel-source packages don't seem to work
>> "out-of-the-box" but doing a "make oldconfig; make dep;" appears to
>> fix
>> any compile problems I have recompiling the DVB drivers with new
>> boxes.
>
> Simon,
>
> Are you using a 2.4.22 kernel under Fedora? I'm having problems
> getting my
> DVB card to work. I have Axel's kernel as per Jarod's guide, and I have
> downloaded the latest video4linux from bytesex.org, and the dvb drivers
> from linuxtv.org.
>
> The trouble is, when I go to 'make' video4linux (and therefore the
> updated
> bttv driver required by my bt878 card) I get an error to the extent
> that
> my kernel doesn't support loading modules, and that I should re-compile
> with loadable module support enabled. That sounds all wrong to me.

Yes, something certainly isn't right, because Axel's kernels definitely
support loadable modules.

> Anyway, If I try a 'make menuconfig' in the kernel source directory, it
> errors out. I'm araid I don't have the machine in front of me, so I
> can't
> say exactly what the error is.

Try copying your active kernel config file into /usr/src/linux-2.4
(from either /boot or /usr/src/linux-2.4/configs), then run make
oldconfig, then make dep. Then try again with the v4l make. You *might*
have to run the make oldconfig or make dep 2x, I forget which (never
had to do anything beyond drop the kernel .config file in place,
myself).

> Am I barking up the wrong tree?

Not sure, HTH...

--