[mythtv-users] Re: Another .nuv to dvd question

James L. Paul james at mauibay.net
Sat Mar 27 15:45:02 EST 2004

On Friday 26 March 2004 21:53, Mike Smith wrote:
> Here is what I do.  I don't pretend this is the
> only way to do it,  or even the best.
>
> First,  I create the number of .vob files that will
> fit
> in 4.5GB.  That usually 8, 30 minutes shows with
> commercials cut.
>
> If I want them in a particular order on the DVD, I
> add the file names into a file ( called filelist )
> in the desired order:
>
> dvd1.vob
> dvd2.vob
> dvd3.vob

I suppose there's only a need for this if the order you want is different from
the filename sort order.

> etc,etc
>
> Using dvdauthor,  I start creating the DVD file
> structure
>
> dvdauthor -o iso `cat filelist`
> dvdauthor -T -o iso

If you name the files as you did above, then skip the filelist and just do:

dvdauthor -o iso dvd?.vob

> Next,  I change file permissions to the DVD standard:
>
> chmod -f 500 iso/*
> chmod -f 400 iso/VIDEO_TS/*

I have absolutely no idea what this is for. The unix permissions should be
irrelevant here, as long as mkisofs can read the files.

> Make the ISO image:
>
> mkisofs -udf -dvd-video -o mydvd.iso iso

No need for the -udf, that's implied by -dvd-video.

> Then I burn to DVD:
>
> growisofs -T /dev/scd0=mydvd.iso -dvd-compat

I assume this should work, I don't know, I've never used growisofs manually.

> growisofs should create the .iso image for me, but
> when I do it that way,  all the file names in the
> DVD structure,  like VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS become
> lowercase.  My DVD player ignores the DVD.  I
> do the two step process to maintain all upper case.

You didn't use growisofs to create the ISO image, you used it to burn to
plastic. You used mkisofs to create the image. I wonder if the -udf switch is
causing the problem, I've never used it with -dvd-video, and that's the only
thing unusual I see here. I don't see how growisofs would be the case of the
case problem since you pre-created the ISO with mkisofs, but I admit to not
understanding why you would do it that way.