[mythtv-users] Re: The OfficeMax hard drives we all talked about

Kevin D. Snodgrass kds.mythtv at cox.net
Fri Mar 26 16:18:15 EST 2004

Joseph A. Caputo wrote:
> On Wednesday 24 March 2004 13:38, Garry wrote:
>
> [snip]
>

>>As a guy from England, I have no idea what this rebate thing is all
>>about! (Well, ok, I can guess)
>>
>>Sounds like a lot of hassle. Is it just a scam to get lazy people to
>>pay more? Not looking for a flaming, just curious as we have nothing
>>like that over here... But then again, I pay more for my goodies.
>

> Yep, you've hit the nail on the head... mail-in rebates are a way that a
> manufacturer (or reseller) can advertise a lower price than what you
> actually pay at the cash register.  In order to get the rebate, usually

I think you are missing the number one reason for mail-in
rebates: Junk mail.  They have your mailing address, you
will now get junk mail.  They sell their accumulated
addresses to, oh maybe, AOL (probably via 1+ middlemen) and
AOL sends you "AOL 27.0 Advanced Super-dooper" on CD.

> Needless to say, companies that offer mail-in rebates count on a certain
> percentage of them never being filed due to laziness, forgetfulness, or
> incomplete applications.  So the short answer is "yes", it is just a
> scam to get lazy people to pay more :-)

No, it is a scam to get people to "opt-in" for more junk
mail.  My former roommate, a marketing type, explained it
all to me years ago.