[mythtv-users] Is there interest for a couple very short HOWTO's?

Timo Boettcher spida at gmx.net
Fri Mar 26 12:27:15 EST 2004

Hi Chris,

* Chris Strom <mythtv at eeeCooks.com>, Friday, March 26, 2004, 1:01:02 PM:

> On Thu, Mar 25, 2004 at 08:34:59PM -0700, Nowhere wrote:
>> I am somewhat new to Linux and I just secured my Mythweb with a password
>> so that I can safely pass the port through my router and access it from
>> the internet.  I know for the experience Linux users out there it's a no
>> brainer but I had to read up how to do it.  Anyone want me to write up a
>> short HOWTO on this?

> Call me paranoid, but I don't regard this as "safe".  The
> username/password are sent in clear text.  Unless you're using something
> like /etc/hosts.allow
I regard that as only marginally safer, as it is ip-address-based, and
unless you are protecting your network of faked addresses through
other means, that isn't safe, either.
> or additional apache configuration, anyone can access the resource.
SSL (https) would be one possibility to protect the username/password.
> I accomplish the same thing via SSH tunnel.
That one is *REALLY* safe.

 Timo