[mythtv-users] Re: Anyone compaired Pundit Svideo to

Malcolm mythtv at lds.dyndns.org
Fri Mar 26 10:29:34 EST 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Steven Rubano" <srubano at ccap.net>
Sent: Friday, March 26, 2004 8:44 AM

> >I don't understand why people put out "media" type boxes with sub
standard

> >TV out cards?
>

> >Malcolm
>

> I agree with you on the DVD issue, I have yet to find the plug-in for
> mplayer to allow it to play on the TV out of my 350. As for the "sub
> standard TV out", it's not that it's sub standard and that's why at this
> moment in time isn't stable, it's due to fact that the manufacture of the
> chip isn't giving any details out about it. The guys who wrote up the
> drivers for ivtv had to work with a "black box" and write a driver that
they
> though would suffice..and I have to tell you.even with some of the
problems
> they did an awesome job. Imagine what they would come up with if they had
> all the details they needed for the chips!

Sorry let me correct that.  I wasn't meaning the 350 is a sub standard card.
I meant the S-video out on the Pundit.  The Pundit was made as a media box
and is marketed as such yet it has a less than perfect quality TV video out.
>From what I'm reading in the list here it's a hardware limitation of the
chipset the Pundit uses that does not allow interlaced video.  That's why I
was saying I don't understand why a company would put out a media box with
poor video.  All about saving a buck I guess.

On the other hand I got DVD playback working with my 350.  Check the IVTV
mailing list.  I made a post there last night with full details.  Summed up
I'm using Matthias's X driver with ivtv-0.1.9 with this patch
http://membres.lycos.fr/badzzzz/ivtv-fb-fix-prepdma.diff
I'm using Xine (with NO patches) to playback.  My 2.4Ghz celeron only runs
around 30% CPU usage while playing the DVD and it seems to work perfectly.
I watched about a 10 minute segment on 3 different DVDs last night and they
all worked flawlessly.  I even ripped a DVD to the drive and played it.
Worked perfect.

Thanks
Malcolm