[mythtv-users] Re: How do YOU use your DVD burner?

Will Dormann wd at pobox.com
Fri Mar 26 10:03:36 EST 2004

At 08:45 AM 3/26/2004 -0500, you wrote:
>I have my DVD burner in my dual boot linux/windows machine.
>  I use a dedicated backend in the basement for MythTV
>recording and the dual boot machine as a frontend for most
>viewing.
>
>All my DVDs are burned under windows using the Ulead
>software that came with the Wintv-PVR 250.  I copy them off
>a samba share and change the extension to MPG.
>
>I actually don't usually edit my stuff since I get audio
>sync issues when I do.

FWIW, I've had zero sync issues when trimming out commercials using
VirtualDub-MPEG2.   Sure, it takes time to re-encode, but I think the
results are well worth it.   Filtering and re-encoding to half D1
resolution will let you easily put four 1-hour shows (minus commercials) on
a single DVD-R with excellent quality.   I've got links for the various
Windows tools that I use here:
http://mythhelper.sourceforge.net/

-WD