[mythtv-users] Backend suggestions please - h/ware & distro

Simon at the Threshold dweller at the-threshold.org
Fri Mar 26 03:28:04 EST 2004

Jon Whitear wrote:
> Simon, Jarod,
>
> Thanks for the pointers. It's looking like FC1 on the backend is the way
> to go.
>
> Simon: Did you have to do anything to get your DVB-T cards to work, such
> as get an updated kernel, or did they work out of the box? (I mean, come
> on... this is Linux! Out of the box?! Pah! :-) Just FYI, I've had my EPIA
> running DVB under Windows, and (with hardware acceleration running) it is
> plenty powerful enough for SDTV. Unfortunately, the on-board MPEG
> accelerator doesn't like HDTV at all. My concerns about performance are
> more with the backend.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Jon

At the time I had the machine locking up on me on a regular basis
(solved by a motherboard bios update) but from memory I plugged them in
compiled up the drivers had a few mins faffing with the dll on the
windoze cd so they could download the firmware and it worked. Probably
about 15 mins after opening the boxes.

I have noticed that the kernel-source packages don't seem to work
"out-of-the-box" but doing a "make oldconfig; make dep;" appears to fix
any compile problems I have recompiling the DVB drivers with new boxes.

Mythtv was more of a chalenge but to be honest there are a couple of
good web sites which lead you though the steps.

Mythtv+dvb rocks, although I wish I had time to look at adding EPG
support (since the UK is extending its EPG coverage coon) and that
mythtv used the multiplexing capibilies of the cards and drivers.

Mythtv ROCKS!

Simon

--
I remember when legal used to mean lawful, now it means some
kind of loophole.