[mythtv-users] Via Chipset on Backend + non Via on Frontend = Live TV?

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Thu Mar 25 11:00:37 EST 2004

On Thursday 25 March 2004 07:30, Adrian Byng-Clarke wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've got myth setup on a machine with a VIA (KT133) chipset. This
> makes things pretty unstable while watching live TV. The frontend
> might freeze up after a few seconds or a few minutes but this always
> happens.
>
> I want to set up a remote frontend (probably an Xbox) which obviously
> doesn't have the VIA chipset.
>
> Can I expect decent stability and performance with this arrangement
> or are there problems inherent to the VIA chipset even if it is on
> the backend? I'm especially concerned with watching live TV, which
> has proven to be a problem on my myth server.

I believe the VIA chipset problem is mostly on the backend.  IIRC, the
problem has something to do with DMA on the on-board IDE controller.
Since the backend is where you're doing most of your disk I/O, you'll
likely still encounter stability problems even if your frontend is
remote.  Anyone care to correct me?

If you don't want to/can't afford to replace your motherboard, you might
consider getting an off-board IDE controller card for the backend.  I
believe that would eliminate the VIA chipset problem, as you wouldn't
be using the on-board IDE controller.

-JAC